Sunday, March 5, 2017

A new look to match the old

While not in our original budget or planning, the Missus and I decided to go with solid Oak hardwood floors in the kitchen. It was an easy decision after we tore out the six layers of other flooring, but it was still a pricey one and somewhat rash seeing as neither of us had ever laid that kind of flooring. 

Thankfully our friend Chris had some connections with the right tools and expertise. Friday night, February 24th, Chris and I showed up at the Beacon Fixer-Upper after having worked our own respective nine hour work days, and dug into the monumental task of laying Red Oak solid hardwood floors.

Here Chris gets ready to lay the first of many boards. Thankfully I remembered to grab my camera.


With the right tools it was productive time but definitely still a hard job. And with that first board nailed in place, we were off...




By 10:30pm, we had reached the halfway point. And we'd also reached our physical breaking point. We were done for the night.


The next day I returned early in the morning, this time by myself. I had a long day ahead of me.





I've never been more tired or more sore working on this house. But dang if that view isn't worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment